dinsdag 7 mei 2013

Multidisciplinary Exhibition Presented by Lisa Maria Rutten

Please introduce yourself to our readers. (Who are you, where do you come from and what is your field of specialization?)

I’m Lisa Maria Rutten, I work under the name: Maria-Lies, I graduated as an illustrator, but photography and fashion are a big influence in my work. My work is mainly about creating a certain atmosphere, which mostly ends up as a surreal situation. I prefer to put things in another perspective, playing with the function and use of objects is distinctive for my work. By illustrating with objects, I try to create a set-design that makes people question. Photography is the main key in all of this, however I often combine more mixed media techniques, since I haven’t lost my love for working with real materials. My style consists of creating an illusion, with a dark sense of humor and an overload of imagination.



What inspires you in general?
It could be anything, people, fashion, objects, I think you just absorbed everything you came across that day and right before I fall asleep, it suddenly hits me, what I should work on, and I’m wide awake again.

Where are you based?
I live in a student house, still in Maastricht, but I’ve got my eye on Amsterdam.

What place/city do you find inspiring?
London, I’ve lived there for a year and there’s so much to inspire you, even just looking at what people wear. It’s a big city, filled with loads of interesting, creative people and cool places to visit, it’s so exciting!

What is the concept behind your latest collection/creation?
It’s about people and their possessions, and how they try to show and find their identity in objects. Every object has its own identity, which becomes a part of the owner’s identity. My work shows the story of a girl, who has lost her identity in the things she owns, and becomes one with her possession.

Describe your collection/creation in three words
Surreal, poetic, playful

Did you always want to work in the field of fashion?
Yes, fashion has always got my interest, it’s hard not to, it’s involved in everything.

Do you have a muse? If yes, who is it and why?
That will probably be my cat, you can find her in most of my work. She’s so curious when I’m working at a new set-design, she always wants to join the composition, but mostl fits right in, so I just let her.


Who is your favorite fashion designer?
Alexander McQueen, I love his shapes, innovative ways and prints.

What is so far your greatest experience in your 'fashion' career?
My internships at Beyond the Valley and Mary Katrantzou in London, and of course being selected for FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2013!

What is on your music list while you are making your collection/creation?
It starts with the barking dog from the neighbors, then some screaming children who are chasing the dog, and sometimes Andre Rieu at the background, when he gives a concert at the Vrijthof.

What is the latest thing you bought for yourself?
A single use camera, I’ve got loads of them, but forget I have them after a while, it’s always a nice surprise when you’ve developed the pictures.

What can we expect from you in the future?
Hopefully a nice job and loads of new work!

When and how did the idea about combining your different skills such as illustration, photography and surface design firstly show up?
That was in my first year of the Art Academy, when I couldn’t make a decision about which specialization I should choose. And then, during following years I found a way to combine them all.

What are underlying connections among illustration, photography and textile design from your perspectives?
It has all to do with imagination, innovation and presentation. There’s a thin line between illustration, photography and fashion, shape is the most import thing they have in common. The shape of a skirt could also be a lampshade, but you could turn a lampshade into a skirt too.


Website: http://www.maria-lies.com/




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...