zaterdag 18 mei 2013

Dutch fashion designer: Esther Boskaljon


Please introduce yourself to our readers: 
I am a Dutch fashion designer based in The Hague. My label ESTHERBOSKALJON focuses on high end ready-to-wear collections, characterized by a complex, adventurous form language and rich textures. 

What inspires you in general? 
Dynamic shapes with a sense of movement are essential in my work. For instance the evolving beauty of a shell or the mystery surrounding a human body dancing. Recurring in my collections are pure aesthetic forms and elegance; introverted and sensitive yet confident. 

What is it like to be a young designer in your city? 
It is inspiring to be surrounded by (fashion)designers, photographers, artists, actors and writers in The Hague. I feel supported by this city; it is developing and growing into a very inspiring place of culture, art and design. 

What place/city do you find inspiring? 
The elegance and allure of Paris always gets to me.. It’s sophisticated atmosphere and energy is very inspiring; I hope to be part of it one day. 



What is the concept of your collection? 
Collection A/W 2013 ‘Continuum’ is inspired by early twentieth century photographer Edward Weston’s journey exploring sheer aesthetic forms of nature. 

Can you remember the first piece you designed? 
Yes, this was a blouse constructed from the individual parts of a classic pair of trousers. It was a first experimental project, born out of curiosity before any education; rearranging pieces and giving them a different purpose in a new garment. 

Describe your collection in three words: 
Continuous, androgynous and sensual. 

Did you always wanted to work in the field of design? 
Actually yes, I am a curious and visually oriented person, and love to create and be surrounded by beautiful things. For as long as I can remember I had the plan to become a artist or designer. 

Do you have a muse? If yes, who is it and why? 
My muse is not a specific person, but I design my collections with a certain character in mind, off course. 

Who is your favorite fashion designer? 
There are several designers that I feel connected to, but if I have to name one specifically it would be Haider Ackermann (which is also where I did my internship once). 


What is so far your greatest experience in your career? 
I would have to say winning a scholarship with my graduation collection, which enabled me to further develop my label. This allowed me to start up production for instance and seeing people wearing pieces from my collections. This is what ultimately gives the most satisfaction. 

What is on your music list while your making your collection? 
At the moment I mainly listen to Portishead, Catpower, David Bowie, Lana del Rey for example. Besides that I love classical music like the Bach Cello suites or Glenn Gould’s Goldberg Variations.

What made you smile today? 
I saw the lilies I’ve planted last year appear again from the earth. 

What is the latest thing you bought for yourself? 
A vintage leather jacket. 

What can we expect from you in the future? 
Luxury, high-end ready-to-wear womenswear collections, in presentations and for sale.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. We all know very well that there are many well known fashion designers in Dutch and some of them provides awesome fashion designing service.
    chanel

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...