dinsdag 16 april 2013

Multi talented Dennis Vanderbroeck


Dennis Vanderbroeck is a 23 years old designer who now lives in Rotterdam and studies in Maastricht. At this moment He is graduating from the theatre academy, performance art. In his work, he is trying to create cross-overs between fashion, fine art and performance using video, photography and live performance. With his "childish" way of approaching it he create hyper-esthetical and humorous images. 




What inspires you in general?
It sounds like a cliché, but I can be inspired by everything at anytime. I’ve learned to keep my creative motor constantly running and not search for it in a forced way, it will keep you from finding it. I try to constantly be aware of everything around me, it creates the space and freedom wherein I can be inspired by for example a strange man walking down the street or by a funny Facebook status or by a article in a magazine.


Where are you based?
At this moment I’m based in Rotterdam, this summer I will move to London to start my master at Central Saint Martins college for art and design. I really can’t wait to move to a new abroad place, to explore and develop in such a different climate then what I am used to. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and suddenly realized that I’m (finally) leaving to the big city. On the one hand it gives me the shivers but on the other hand a smile from ear to ear. I think I will grow artistically and personally when I move my physical and mental focus to another place outside of Holland.


What is it like to be a young designer in your city/country?
In The Netherlands we have so much talented and creative people but there are so much of them. The climate, at this moment, with all the cut downs, is not positive at all, especially for theatre makers. I have so much friends who are graduated from the theatre academy and brilliant in what they do but their basically with too much. Off course those reasons also create a new state of mind, creative freedom and new places, but studying abroad is maybe also a reason to escape this “cultural war” for a while. 


Dennis at Henrik Vibskov
What place/city do you find inspiring?
In 2011 I fulfilled an internship at the wonderful company of Henrik Vibskov. For that reason I have lived in Copenhagen for four months. I completely fell in love with the city, it is such an inspiring place with inspiring people and fascinating cultural spots. I try to visit my friends and the city once a year, to get relaxed and get everything together again. Copenhagen by summer, is something I can recommend to everyone.
At this moment I live in Rotterdam, in what we call our “Sunday-morning-house”. Rotterdam is young and dynamic and in my opinion the only city in Holland in which i can feel anonymous, the feeling of a metropolis. Those places are the ones where I can work the best. 


What is the concept behind your latest collection/creation?     
“How you survive the future” is my most recent work. I wanted to create something which looked practical but was completely useless. I created the “back-pack-blow-up-suit”, a nice looking back pack in which you can find a green balloon suit, which you can put on and in which you can completely disappear, by blowing it up. In a workshop together with visual artist Hans op de Beeck I was asked to create my perception on the future. In my work I’m always searching for the clash between an internal and external universe, my perception on “reality”. I think I don’t believe in the future, it distracts me from living in the now, so maybe this suit is a statement against the future? Besides that I hope people are just having fun looking at the colors and by the movement of the balloon going up and down. When I create something and kids like it, I consider it as succeeded. 


Describe your collection/creation in three words:
Humorous, higly-esthetic and hopefully fun to watch.


Did you always wanted to work in the field of fashion?
When I was young I had my own “label”, with my best friend, called “DAY”. We drew and created clothes. When we found out that there already existed a brand called “DAY”, we decided to start photographing instead. Besides that I never had the ambition to create fashion myself but I always have been really fascinated by it. I believe fashion is the only art form everybody has to relate to in a way, everybody creates their identity with deciding what to and what not to wear. You will never see me wearing some shitty clothes, because my clothes have influence on my mood and mindset. I think people are not always aware of how big the phenomenon fashion is. 


Do you have a muse? If yes, who is it and why?
So far, I don’t have a muse. But it would be really cool to have one, so if anyone feels the urge to wear blow-up-suits, please let me know.


Who is your favorite fashion designer?
Well that changes from time to time. but my all time favorite would probably be Henrik. He creates a universe with his clothes, installations and music. All those different ways of expressing are part of the Henrik Vibskov world, that process and way of working is really an example for me.
And if you look into my own wardrobe I really like Acne, it’s simple but they use great fabrics and different cuts. If I would have the money I would probably wear Dries van Noten, Givenchy and Raf Simons all the time, well, maybe someday.


What is so far your greatest experience in your 'fashion' career?
To walk on my own created catwalk installation in Henrik Vibskov’s autumn/winter show on the Paris Fashionweek. I had to pinch myself all the time, we worked so hard and that day everything came together. 


What is on your music list while you are making your collection/creation?
There was a time when I listened to The XX the whole day. I know all the songs by heart, because I really like their deep voices and sounds, it brings me in a nice and calm state of mind. I also have a little crush for Oliver Simm. But to be completely honest, when I work I really search for silence, because for me that’s the best music to create.


What made you smile today?
The outcome of my application for Central Saint Martins, my new earring and a breakdance routine we made for our new dance performance called “Parallel lines never come together”. 


What is the latest thing you bought for yourself?     
A pack of cigarettes? I really don’t have a clue, it has been a long long time I had the time to take a day off and shop for myself. But thank you for reminding, I have to buy something for myself!





What can we expect from you in the future?
Hopefully within three years I have my own brand, STUDIO/VANDERBROECK. A place where a small team works together on international projects, for both commercial and free purposes. Where different art forms will come together and where, whether commercial or free, all will belong to the world of STUDIO VANDERBROECK with the communal purpose; to infect, communicate, to be watched, and to be seen.
Does that sound pretentious?
Since you got accepted by Central Saint Martins, what are your expectations of it?      
I hope it really gives me space to start creating STUDIO/VANDERBROECK and hopefully discover new layers within my own work. This upcoming two years are all about deepening and expanding my creativity. I can’t wait to meet, be inspired by and learn from new people. I think moving to London, at this point in my life, is gigantic step forward in exploring myself, creatively and personally, I hope to grow up in London!

What can we expect from your graduation performance?     
To be honest, I have absolutely no clue. I only know the title, which will be “Dear Frank”. Frank is my alter ego which I created during my studies at the theatre academy, so my last performance will be an ode to him. I enjoy the feeling of having no idea what it will become, because then you still don’t exclude anything, I will keep all the options open until I will have the epiphany.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...