maandag 14 mei 2012

Hao-Ni Tsai presents “Hybrids”

1. Please introduce yourself to our readers. (Who are you, where do you come from and what is your field of specialization?) 
I am Hao-Ni Tsai from Taiwan, Taipei. I am a creator in both the design and art field. In 2011 I graduated in MA textile futures (Central Saint Martins).
I am based in London, UK and I’m starting to set up my own brand “NI HAO BY yuer ” this year.



 

2. What fascinates you about textile design? 
I see textile design as a kaleidoscope. It is changeable, colorful and interesting.


3. If you were to describe your work in 3 keywords which ones would you choose? 
Hybrids, tribal and earth tone.



 



4. In Taiwan you studied Information and Communication but then you moved to the UK to pursue a career in design. What motivated you to make this transition? 
I was always fascinated by the texture, surface and pattern of the fabric. When I was young, I was inspired by my nanny who used to be a knitter for a factory. I got so many inspirations from her work. After I graduated from my BA course in Taiwan, I realized that I want to do something tactile and touchable, which I could really play with and create by hand.



5. What is the concept behind your collection? 
This project explores the possibility of transforming both Western and indigenous Taiwanese fibers and craft techniques into innovative textiles through hybrid combinations. This cross-cultural approach aims at creating a link between the East and West with a new contemporary aesthetic and to add value to an ancient material craft.
















6. Your collection is entitled “Hybrids” – how did you incorporate the 2 cultures Eastern and Western into one project? 
I gathered plants materials, such as hemp, banana and pineapple fiber from Taiwan. Because of the weather these natural plant fibers can be collected easily in subtropical countries; also there are limited resources of animal hair in Taiwan. My concept for “Hybrids” aims to introduce the new combination (body ornaments) of both natural plant fiber and animal hair. I wish my work can make people  appreciate the aesthetic of an organic, natural, unruly and primitive beauty.





7. How do you personally define “fashionclash” or “ a clash with fashion” for yourself? 
Something incredible, playful and unique.




















































Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...